Re: help: disabling relinking stupidity in libtool

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 15:35, Ari Pollak wrote:

> I'm the current maintainer of the gimp1.3 package. libgimp1.3 contains
> more than a few libraries, most of which contain interdependencies to
> other libraries in the same package. This causes a problem as far as
> interoperation between libtool & dpkg-shlibdeps goes - when libtool
> installs the libraries, it relinks them incorrectly so that libraries in
> /usr/lib get used before the freshly built libraries contained in the
> package itself. So what ends up happening is a bunch of mismatched
> dependencies in the installed .so:
>
> $ ldd debian/libgimp1.3/usr/lib/libgimpui-1.3.so.15
>          libgimp-1.3.so.14 => /usr/lib/libgimp-1.3.so.14 (0x40022000)
>          libgimpwidgets-1.3.so.14 => /usr/lib/libgimpwidgets-1.3.so.14
> (0x40039000)
>          libgimpbase-1.3.so.15 => not found

Is libtool picking up the OLD (/usr/lib) version of the library, rather
than the version in DESTDIR, and relinking the application with it (and
that old version's dependant library)?

It's a libtool feature[0].

I have a proposed-fix for this, will throw it your way as soon as I've
caught up with the recent libtool bugs.

Scott

[0] of the "brain dead" definition[1]
[1] libtool, see "brain dead" (hello Steve :-)
--
Still need a new signature.