Re: help: disabling relinking stupidity in libtool

I do have the appropriate -l and -L syntax after dh_shlibdeps, but that only helps with otherwise missing dependencies on the current library package, not dependencies on an older version of that package. With the files linked according to how I described before, the binary package ends up depending on both libgimp1.3 >= 1.3.14 as well as >= 1.3.15, and libgimp1.3 not only depends on itself (bad), but >= 1.3.14 (the old version installed on the system)
As for how I know something is relinked on installation:
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/gimp1.3-1.3.15/libgimp'
/bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /usr/lib
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c libgimp-1.3.la /usr/lib/libgimp-1.3.la
libtool: install: warning: relinking `libgimp-1.3.la'

And this is commonly known behavior for libtool, since it's _supposed_ to fix problems on other platforms, but ends up not really fixing much and making it very difficult to package many libraries.

Andreas Metzler wrote:
 <Silly question>
Are you sure that something is relinked on installation, this
ldd-output alone does not justify this assumption - of course ldd has
no idea that it should search in debian/libgimp1.3/usr/lib/, it will
always use the standard searchpatch.

/This/ problem can be solved by using the '-l...' option for
dpkg-shlibdeps (or dh_shlibdeps)
</Silly question>
             cu andreas