Re: texmf.cnf again

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:42:32 +0200, Emile van Bergen <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> said:

> Hi,
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 08:55:07AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

>> which leaves two solutions
>> * Try to minimize breakage by choosing a default. Results may vary
>> depending on whether you think breaking one unix guru's sytem is
>> more important than ten newbies. ;-)
>> * Don't ask the question. Proposed solutions are ucf and
>> <[🔎] E19OvQK-0004MW-Sg@mid.downhill.at.eu.org>. Another possibility
>> might be to simply move /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf to /var if it is not
>> supposed to be edited.

> I've suggested it before: why not maintain the auto-generated
> texmf.cnf in /var, and offer the administrator to symlink
> /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf to it?

	Because that leaves users out in the ghetto. If a TeX package
 needs some changes to go into the configuration (as happened with
 Adam Di Carlo's package), the user is never asked.

> This way, the administrator can choose between the dpkg-managed and
> a manually managed version at any time by simply changing the
> destination of the /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf symlink to the automatically
> managed /var/texmf/texmf.cnf or to a hand edited version somewhere
> else.

> He can also ignore the mechanism altogether by having his hand
> managed file as the /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf; dpkg only touches the
> version in /var so behaviour will be as expected.

	It is still the either you give up control of you
 configuration file to me, and only edit configuration files in a
 manner I prescribe, or else you are unsupported. This may adhere to
 the letter of the policy, but is poor packing quality, and we can do
 better.

> No merging, no parsing, no complexity, no loss of information, and
> you can choose between power and user friendliness on a per machine
> basis.

	And no support.

	manoj
--
"Right now I feel that I've got my feet on the ground as far as my
head is concerned." Baseball pitcher Bo Belinsky