Re: booting a debootstraped filesystem?

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 03:43:56AM +0200, Henning Moll wrote:

> Unfortunately i am not able to boot my own filesystem using
> 'ootflags=/home/hgmoll/tmp/sarge rootfstype=hostfs':
>
> | FS: Mounted root (hostfs filesystem).
> | Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> | Serial line 0 assigned device '/dev/ptyp0'
> | Unimplemented ioctl in ssl_ioctl : 0x541e
> | Unimplemented ioctl in ssl_ioctl : 0x541e
> | Serial line 1 assigned device '/dev/ptyp1'
> | Unimplemented ioctl in ssl_ioctl : 0x541e
> | Unimplemented ioctl in ssl_ioctl : 0x541e
>
> I am not able to access the serial lines with minicom (nothing happends,
> minicom justs exits...)

Did you actually configure gettys on the serial lines?  Normally there are
none, only on the virtual consoles.

> Any suggestions?

Usually, the easiest way to do it is to use con=xterm, where each virtual
console comes up in its own xterm.  If you're not running under X, the next
best thing is to use con=pts, where you will see similar messages on the
console indicating that a pty has been assigned to those virtual consoles,
and you can use screen(1) to attach to them, for example:

screen /dev/pts/10

--
 - mdz