Re: booting a debootstraped filesystem?

Hi

> > > I don't understand what you mean.  You tried to boot the system using
> > > grub, or you used UML?  The two approaches are mutually exclusive.
> >
> > it sounds like he tried it with a regular kernel (non-uml), but i
> > suspect that wouldnt work, insce hostfs seems like a uml-only thing.

Yes, that's what i meant...

I've tried some of the 'prebuild' filesystems available on
http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/dl-sf.html, but i don't get them to
work:

Trying root_fs_slack8.1:

| Booting fails on checking root filesystem:
| /sbin/e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/ubd/0

Maybe this is one of the issues Matt mentioned in this posting:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2001/debian-boot-200112/msg00583.html
(the one about HD autodetection?)

Trying root_fs_toms1.7.205:

| INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
| INIT: Id "c1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
| INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
| INIT: Id "c1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Then i tried it with Matts build available on
http://people.debian.org/~mdz/uml/. Hey, it worked right out of the box!

Unfortunately i am not able to boot my own filesystem using
'ootflags=/home/hgmoll/tmp/sarge rootfstype=hostfs':

| FS: Mounted root (hostfs filesystem).
| Warning: unable to open an initial console.
| Serial line 0 assigned device '/dev/ptyp0'
| Unimplemented ioctl in ssl_ioctl : 0x541e
| Unimplemented ioctl in ssl_ioctl : 0x541e
| Serial line 1 assigned device '/dev/ptyp1'
| Unimplemented ioctl in ssl_ioctl : 0x541e
| Unimplemented ioctl in ssl_ioctl : 0x541e

I am not able to access the serial lines with minicom (nothing happends,
minicom justs exits...)

Any suggestions?

Thank you for helping so far!
Henning