Re: Debian menu system update

Hi Chris,

* Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> [2003-05-30 21:06:10]:
> > 2) The current menu files use a "needs" field to designate whether the
> > application uses console or X11 (e.g. needs="text"). In our .desktop
> > files, this field will be named X-Menu-Needs and will only be required
> > for non-X11 applications. (so current GNOME/KDE .desktop entries won't
> > have to be changed)
>
> This can't be translated simply as "ConsoleOnly"? As below:
>
> Categories:
>
> ConsoleOnly - Application that only works inside a terminal (text-based
>               or command line application).
>

> There is also a "Shell" category for shells such as bash.
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html#CATEGORY-REGISTRY

Might be a good idea. Thanks.

> > 3) The current menu files has a "package" field to designate which
> > package must be installed before the menu file will be used. In our
> > .desktop files, this field will be named X-Menu-Package. But I'm unsure
> > whether we should still require this field. Not requiring it might break
> > some menu entries; but requiring it will force us to change upstreams
> > .desktop files with the addition of X-Menu-Package.
>
> What actual cases is this field used in? I don't think I recall seeing it
> used before. Shouldn't the menu entry exist in the package it must have
> installed (I suppose I could be missing something).

I see two uses for it: For example the menu package now ships some default
files in /usr/share/menu/default which wouldnt work without their
package dependency. Another use is for administrators to create menu
files by hand and ensure that they work by the package dependency.

  - Morten.