Re: debconfig: package description

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 07:13:29PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> from time to time, especially while upgrading a lot of packages I notice
> debconfig questions for packages I do not know. This is of course quite
> likely given the size of debian archive and the fact, that task packages
> introduce a lot of packages one has not selected explecitely.

> Some of those packages ask questions, which are hard to understand, if you
> do not know what the package is all about.

> Of course, one can argue, that this is a problem with the phrasing of the
> question an should be fixed by a bug report, but I truely think that for
> example explaining, what the package is all about should not be repeated in
> every debconfig question.

> Therefore I wonder if the various debconfig frontends cant support something
> like displaying the package description. For the slang frontend for example
> I would think that a footer with

> foo: dealing with bar <f3 for more>

> would do the trick. Where f3 opens a pop-up with the package description and
> dependencies.

> What do you think?

The fact is that such debconf questions *are* bugs; they should either
be clarified, or only shown at the lower priorities that are reserved
for less important questions.  I, for one, am not willing to give up
just yet on the possibility of a proper fix for *this* problem.

Being able to get to the package description from the debconf frontend
might be a nice bonus, but shouldn't distract us from getting buggy
debconf templates fixed.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer