Re: Unofficial projects related with Debian.

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Craig Small wrote:

> Fabio Massimo Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net> wrote:
> > IPv6 is an official subproject founded by Craig Small, even if we host
> > experimental packages outside Debian for various reasons.
>
> I think that might be way, way too formal for what it is.  I'm not too
> fussed what it is called as it was setup pragmatically for a practical
> purpose.

Probably you are right that is way too formal. I just consider it as such
due to the high response we got from the entire community. We are up to 50
pkgs in sid, 1.2GB of archive (including testing, woody and woody
backports), mirrored by 15 different ISP's (most of them both ipv4 and
ipv6). Several developers, official and unofficial, involved. More and
more DD started including IPv6 patches, tested by us, directly in main.

I considered these value as simptoms of acceptance from the community, but
correct me if I am wrong.

> The problem was with IPv6 was there was no coordination.  Someone would
> make a package or have a technique for IPv6 but noone else knew about it
> so there was duplication and wastage.

These are the same reasons that motivated me to start. The entire IPv6
community made a very good job and it was extremely responsive. As well as
the entire infrastructure has been growing a lot in the last year (Also
due to the increasing interest in IPv6 all over the world), more pkgs,
more mirrors, the stat section was born, irc channel and so on...

> That's how the IPv6 sub-project started.  I'm pleased that despite my
> lack of effort it has done very well.

Actually just the fact that you kept the links updated on www.d.o was
quite good, since that page is still the first reference that IPv6 newbie
will hit.

> I'm not going to buy into what they *should* be, but a least you know
> how IPv6 started.

:-)

Fabio

--
Our mission: make IPv6 the default IP protocol
"We are on a mission from God" - Elwood Blues

http://www.itojun.org/paper/itojun-nanog-200210-ipv6isp/mgp00004.html