Re: Debian conference in the US?

On Sun, 25 May 2003 02:24, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> >>Well, didn't work that way last time...
> >
> > They got their second choice.
>
> I never chose Little Napolean and he wasn't on my alternate list either.

Something between 49% and 50% of US voters wanted the Shrub as president.

>   Please stop assuming everyone in a given country actually agrees with
> what their government has done or is doing.  This is the most

I don't assume that everyone agrees, just the 49.X% that voted for him.

> distressing aspect of this thread:  Debian is (supposed to be) a group
> of intelligent, like-minded individuals whose individual nationality or
> origin is largely irrelevent.  There should be only 2 requirements for a
> conference:  someone is willing to sponsor it, and enough people are
> willing to come to make it worthwhile.

Which is what I have said, repeatedly.

> This idea that conference
> locations need to be vetted based on the politics of the host country is
> dangerous and stupid.  What Debian is about has nothing to do with
> individual nations or their politics.  We should be better than this.

Be glad that I never suggested that the conference be held outside the US for
this reason.

Someone asked why people would want to decline an opportunity to visit the US.
I answered the question.  A bunch of USians started jumping up and down and
the thread has continued ever since.

The most amusing thing was that no USian even bothered to ask me whether I am
implementing such a boycot myself, they just made their assumptions and
jumped into the flame-war.

My purchases of US products have not changed of recent times, they only things
from the US that I want are made by Intel, AMD, IBM, and Ford.  Three of
those companies have no viable non-US competition.

For avoiding entering the US there are better reasons such as the following: