Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 11:37:09AM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> Guido, you're not going about it the right way.  It's a three-way merge.
> You take a kernel.org tree, diff it against the architecture tree that
> you're interested in, and then wiggle it into applying to the kernel
> source package that comes with Debian.  It's not all that hard, and
> there's a number of tools to help you (dirdiff, for instance; but all I
> ever use is diff, patch, a text editor, and CVS/BK).

This is how I thought it worked already, but I don't have the experience in
maintaining the various arch-specific patches to speak first-hand about it.

The only thing that would seem to complicate this is that the Debian patches
to kernel source are implicit (kernel-source .diff.gz) rather than explicit
(kernel-patch-debian).

Given an explicit kernel-patch-debian, containing architecture-agnostic
differences between kernel.org source and Debian's kernel source,
arch-specific merges could be mostly automated, and security fixes could be
made in one place.

--
 - mdz