Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 04:06:30PM +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 09:24:16PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > OK, barring any major objections, that's how it will be for 2.4.21.
> > I will make kernel-source-2.4.21 be identical to the upstream tar ball
> > except for the non-free bits.  A kernel-patch-i386 package will be
> > introduced.
> You won't here me objecting ;)
> Thanks a lot,

I'll object!

Guido, you're not going about it the right way.  It's a three-way
merge.  You take a kernel.org tree, diff it against the architecture
tree that you're interested in, and then wiggle it into applying to the
kernel source package that comes with Debian.  It's not all that hard,
and there's a number of tools to help you (dirdiff, for instance; but
all I ever use is diff, patch, a text editor, and CVS/BK).

For the PowerPC kernels this is how I've been doing it (sporadically)
for years.  It's never been hard; nowadays the diffs are only on the
order of 70K, but they used to be multi-megabyte and I still rarely had
conflicts with Herbert's patches.

If you do have problems, do the merge the other way: kernel.org tarball
diffed against Herbert's packages, wiggle those diffs on top of your
architecture tree, diff the result against the kernel-source package,
and call that your archictecture patch.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz