Re: Debian conference in the US?

On Fri, 23 May 2003 12:21:05 +1000, Glenn McGrath <bug1@optushome.com.au> said:

> On Thu, 22 May 2003 12:20:39 -0500
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

>> Let me clue all of you in: anyone who takes a stand and tries to
>> hurt the US economy, I see as a taking action inimical to me, and
>> my loved ones, and I do *NOT* see that as friendly action.

> What you say is just bad, bad, bad, and you should be ashamed.

	Ah yes. Argument by assertion.

	_You_ may live in a country where you may be ashamed to defend
 your friends and loved ones, but I do not. I do, however, pity you:
 If you think that when people express a desire to hurt your
 relatives, you need to feel ashamed if you raise a voice in protest,
 you really should get the heck out of your country.

> In the least it implies you personally are only friendly with people
> when you are taking their money. In other words, you dont have any
> true friends.

	Ah. Either you can't read, or you have absolutely no concept
 of logic. In either case this discussion is doomed; but let me try an
 exercise in futility.

	I said "If you are acting in a desire to hurt my loved ones by
 hurting an already fragile economy, I see this action as inimical."
 How you got from there to ascribing mercenary motivations to me is
 beyond me.

> On the Australia-US trade deal thats being worked on.  If it worked
> out to be better for Australia than for the US, would you bear a
> grudge against all individual Australians ?  If it was more
> benificial to the US would you be friendlier to Australians ?

	If you can't distinguish between a trade deal (which usually
 is biased one way or the other) and an stated intention to harm my
 economy, I suggest you also need introductory courses in economic
 theory.

> If your countrymen share that sort of attitute it explains why the
> USA is in so many wars.

	Yeah. We rarely suffer fools gladly.

> There is a layer of abstraction been government and people, any
> action by or against your government is not necesarily an action
> from or against individual US'ians.

	But the intention was not to protest the actions of my
 government, or to act against it in the UN. It was to get down and
 try to hurt my friends and family by hurting the economy that
 nurtures us, in the hope that we shall be blackmailed into changing
 our government.

	I do not like coercion.

> I hope you can see the obvious flaws in your comments, and can learn
> from your mistakes.

	That will be the day.

	manoj
--
Now I lay me down to sleep I hear the sirens in the street All my
dreams are made of chrome I have no way to get back home Tom Waits