Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 09:04:05AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Manoj emphasized[1] that using one single kernel source package per
> kernel version and maintaining several patch packages for each
> architecture which finally build our kernel-image-$version packages is
> possible.
[SNIP]
> I have to admit, that having several architectures use the same plain
> kernel source from Linus Torvalds aka kernel.org could be problematic
> since many architecture ports use their own kernel repository which is
> not always synced with the main kernel tree for whatever reasons.

I guess using a plain kernel.org source as the base can only make the
situation better. I can only speak for the mips and mipsel stuff, but
currently we have to remake the diffs between the mips repository and the
Debian kernel-source package nearly everytime something in an i386-related
patch changes, because the sources in the Debian kernel-source-package,
against which the mips patches are built, have already a bunch of patches
against Linus' tree applied. If the i386 kernel-images would be built using
a kernel-patch-<version>-i386 package, like it is done for other
architectures as well, all the non-i386 architectures would not be forced
anymore to rework their packages as soon as something in the i386 patchset
changes.

Regards,
Karsten
--