Re: Do not touch l10n files (was Re: DDTP issue)

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 07:21:51AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> On Sun, 18 May 2003, Denis Barbier wrote:
>
> > [All Cc's removed]
> >
> > On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 07:54:55AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I don't believe that there is not an estestic layout that can satisfy
> > > all the languages we have in Debian.
> >
> > What is the rationale for having a single layout for all languages?
>
> since we are talking about estetic,

IMO it is more a readability issue.  We French speaking people are not
used to these very long sentences, so we find them harder to parse.

Here is another example taken from debconf templates, see:
  http://ftp-master.debian.org/~barbier/l10n/material/templates/unstable/main/w/wdm/wdm_1.22.1-2_debian_wdm.templates.fr.gz
In French, parenthesis are put around parts of sentences, not whole sentences.
So the last French paragraph has to be rewritten to remove these parenthesis.
I do not know whether English text is right or not, so I won't file a bug
against original, but will fix the French translation.

> i believe that it looks nicer keeping the layout coherent across
> translation.

But you do not explain why!  Translations are not displayed together
with original text, so imposing a similar layout (I keep this term
for simplicity even if I find it meaningless) does not make sense.

> > How do developers check how translations are rendered?
>
> sorry but i don't understand what you mean.
[...]

I am wondering how you checked that the Japanese translation did fit
your aesthetic criterion.

Denis