Re: [debian-devel] Questions regarding utf-8

>--[Andreas Metzler]--<ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org>
> Bob Hilliard <hilliard@debian.org> wrote:
> > Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> writes:

> > glyphs iconv returns?  My locale is C.  What locale are you using?
> [...]
> de_AT (uses ISO-8859-1 as charset).
> LANG=de_AT, everything else is unset:
> *prompt* echo ö§ | env -u LANG iconv -f latin1 -t ascii//TRANSLIT
> ??
> *prompt* echo ö§ | env LANG=en_US iconv -f latin1 -t ascii//TRANSLIT
> ??
> *prompt* echo ö§ | env LANG=de_AT iconv -f latin1 -t ascii//TRANSLIT
> oe?
> *prompt* echo ö§ | env LANG=fr_FR iconv -f latin1 -t ascii//TRANSLIT
> o?

Which shows nothing other than that the transliteration is havily locale
dependend. Transliterations that make sense in one locale are simply wrong
in other locales. E.g. "a is simply bs in de_*. And while in French it may
be fine to strip the accents, in German it is not, you have to add an e. In
other words, what recode does is creating some sorts of replacement
characters which are often wrong, while iconv will give you question marks
if there's nothing it can do.

Btw in the example the -f latin1 is not only superfluous but wrong, because
it'll stop doing what you think it does when you happen not to use
ISO-8859-1 as your encoding.

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.
         100  € = 195 DM 58 pf.