Bob Hilliard <hilliard@debian.org> wrote:
> Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> writes:
>> *prompt* echo ö§ | recode latin1..ascii
>> "oSS
>> *prompt* echo ö§ | iconv -f latin1 -t
>> ascii//TRANSLIT ; echo $?
>> oe?
>> --------------
>> »§«  (I do not think there is one), it would be nice if iconv's
>> exit-status reflected whether questionmarks were used, but changing
>> this would probably break existing software.

>     I agree oe is much better than "o, but I can't get that:

> bob:vc-p2:bob>echo ö§ | iconv -f latin1 -t ascii//TRANSLIT
> ??

>     I have iconv 2.3.1.  Is it possible that my locale affects the
> glyphs iconv returns?  My locale is C.  What locale are you using?
[...]

de_AT (uses ISO-8859-1 as charset).

LANG=de_AT, everything else is unset:
*prompt* echo ö§ | env -u LANG iconv -f latin1 -t ascii//TRANSLIT
??
*prompt* echo ö§ | env LANG=en_US iconv -f latin1 -t ascii//TRANSLIT
??
*prompt* echo ö§ | env LANG=de_AT iconv -f latin1 -t ascii//TRANSLIT
oe?
*prompt* echo ö§ | env LANG=fr_FR iconv -f latin1 -t ascii//TRANSLIT
o?
           cu andreas