Re: Font uglifacation after apt-get upgrade

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:31:56AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> just back from vacation I did a "apt-get upgrade" to testing where the
> following packages were update (amongst others but these might be
> guilty)

I just did a dist-upgrade to Sid on my box here at home, which means I
have the same version of libfreetype6 and x* as Andreas. I use GDM and
Xfce, and use TrueType fonts from msttcorefonts (read: Verdana) for my
menus, toolbars, and Mozilla. I also have:

    libttf2     1.4pre.20011029-1
    gdm         2.4.1.3-2
    defoma      0.11.1
    xfce        3.8.18-2

(Obviously it's getting hard to 'point a finger')

> The result were really ugly fonts in status bars, menus (all under
> SawFish 1.0.1.20020116, Gnome* 1.4.1.2-4) and most importantly in
> Emacs, which makes it nearly unusable.

I am experiencing the same really ugly handling of TrueType fonts
everywhere, except perhaps in the GDM login (but then I don't know where
it gets its fonts... it doesn't seem to be configurable anymore). I have
followed the thread and done what have been recommended:

 - apt-get reinstall of font packages
 - reshuffling of FontPath entries to put Type1 at the bottom
 - removed Type1 FontPath entry

My current FontPath entries are as follows:

        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
        FontPath        "/usr/local/share/fonts/tlcfonts/"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"

> I'm sorry that I can not investigate more deeply into this problem
> because of time constraints in the next couple of days but I did not
> want to hold back the problem longer. I just do not know enough about
> the source of the problem to file a qualified bug report.

My searches have been fruitless as well. I don't know what more
information I can provide to try to nail the problem...

Thank you everyone for your time.

 --> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III  : http://jijo.free.net.ph      : When we speak of free
Network Administrator : The Leather Collection, Inc. : software we refer to