Re: mailcap next step

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 01:24:42PM +0200, mcINEK wrote:
> W li?cie z czw, 15-05-2003, godz. 13:00, Wouter Verhelst pisze:
> > Here's your error: if you do that, it's not the user who can change his
> > browser, but the system administrator. Those two are not always the
> > same.
>
> But, does it eliminate my soluton? As you wrote later, user always can
> change /etc/mailcap. I didn't wonder how it would be on multi-users
> machines but I don't think it could be 'worse'.
>
> On the contrary, for one-user machines it will be very good and fast
> solution to make their programs runing apps like they want. The don't
> need to wonder what app will be starded, just that what they choose by
> update-alternatives. And also, this apps may be different for xwindows
> or console.

I really think it would be a bad idea to go the alternatives road here.
If you must, you could write a front-end that parses /etc/mailcap, and
for a given MIME type, allows a user to pick the application of his/her
choice; the front-end could then write that to ~/.mailcap.

> What is more, everything will be doing automatically.
> I think it can be interesting.

We disagree, then.

"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a
full one, but there are plenty of dead experts."
  -- National Geographic Channel, in a documentary about large African beasts.