Re: Generally accepted cut-off limit for -doc packages

Andreas Tille wrote:
> Sorry for my ignorance but I thought that there is a reference for his
> rejection statement.  I just made sure that the maintainer which I volunteered
> to sponsor builded the package compliant to debian-policy 3.5.9.0 which says:
>
>      If a package comes with large amounts of documentation which many
>      users of the package will not require you should create a separate
>      binary package to contain it, so that it does not take up disk space
>      on the machines of users who do not need or want it installed.

It seems to me that this limit is not well documented.  However, since
James in his incarnation of the ftpmaster has the final say, I'd
suppose to adjust both the developers reference and the
new-maintainers guide to mention what Oliver Elphick said

  The point of splitting out a documentation package is to reduce
  download time for people who want to install a package without its
  documentation.  This has to be balanced against the load on the
  archive of having extra packages, not to mention the frustration
  experienced by those who discover that they have got to load another
  package if they want the documentation.

and the "generally accepted cut-off limit for -doc packages is ~500k
of installed data" that ftpmasters implement.

Somebody already voluntered for the developers reference and one of
the editors of the new-maintainers guide also dropped in.  That should
help other people.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Unix is user friendly ...  It's just picky about its friends.