Re: Status of Sarge Release Issues (Updated for May)

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 08:50:21AM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> One might reply that Debian should make a special effort to
> get Linux 2.6 in the box so as not to reinforce its
> reputation as a laggard.  But IMHO Debian would be better
> off not making such special efforts. Instead, on the contrary,
> it should reduce the number of things it tries to accomplish
> per release so that the release cycle is shortened, so that
> not getting a favorite bit of software into a release is
> less painful.  (In saying this I do not mean to criticize
> the way the current release is being handled.)

It all depends on when we will release. If we release, let's say in the
second half of this year, then going with 2.4.x is the better option. If
we release sometime next year, maybe we should consider 2.6.x.

Anyway, going with 2.4.x shouldn't stop us from offering a 2.6.x or even
a late 2.5.x package, so that maintainer start to get experience with
it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther