Re: /run/, resolvconf and read-only root

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 02:24:18AM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 07:40:50PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > And, no you may not call it a bug in those programs or shell scripts,
> > because you don't get to dictate how software outside of Debian (but
> > which a Debian user might want to use) is written.
>
> Thats why we need LSB and FHS and possibly glibc support, IMHO.

If you think that LSB and FHS is going to tell the rest of the world
that the location of /etc/resolv.conf, which has been stable for close
to two *decades* should change because we in the Linux community are
arrogant enough to tell the world want to do.... well, words fail me.

But just as someone has pointed out, Debian Policy isn't a stick to
beat people about the head in order to bring about change, neither is
the LSB and FHS a stick to tell the rest of the world what to do.

The old story of King Canute on the Seashore
(http://viking.no/e/people/e-knud.htm) comes to mind.....

						- Ted