Re: /run/, resolvconf and read-only root

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 03:13:43PM +0200, Arthur de Jong wrote:

> > Do you think having programs write to /etc is a bad thing?

> I think creating /run is worse.

> I think it should be possible for any program that writes to /etc (it it
> cannot use /var) either to be configurable to store it's data somewhere
> else or use a symlink to store the data somwhere else (e.g. /proc/flashrom
> or /nfsmounteddiskbutnotroot or other unusual place). I think that should
> be the first step in tris transition.

This encourages admins to continue developing home-grown schemas to
address the problem, and is at odds with the motives for standardizing
the system -- namely, that we provide something which works out of the
box, and that Debian users be able to move from one system to another
without having to learn about lots of strange local conventions.

> I haven't seen a very good description of /run yet and I'm not
> completely sure that something like "a place to write files to when
> you can't write to /var yet" is useful. This is not a useful
> description because /var may be mounted at different times on
> different systems (e.g. nfs mounted /var vs localy mounted /var).

It is precisely because /var may be mounted at different times that it
cannot be depended on for the storage of early-boot state.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer