Re: Announcing Debian Package Tags

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 09:58:16AM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:

> Of course. they can be overriden the same way the section "gnome" was
> overridden for these packages. So no uploads would be required, but the
> packages can just be updated with their next uploads. Maybe some will stay
> in the override file for a long time even.

Indeed.  I see no reason to try to use policy to strongarm maintainers into
adding tags, or to create a lot of work to add tags to orphaned packages.

> Well, i have the basic tools there, i can do mass changes even matching
> on package description or long description.
> Basically anything i can SELECT from the DB and process in perl ;)

Yes, but unless you want to do all of the tagging yourself, this is not
ideal. :-)

> I planned to add a "upload" facility, where you can upload a
> package: +tag, -tag
> style diff file (or what ever diff format enricos tools have)
> but i havn't had time to do so yet.
> However when you send me such things i will hurry to do these changes.

Ah, I will have to look at enrico's tools.

> The interface is lacking another big point: it doesn't yet automatically
> add "implicit" tags - the tags "below" one tag in the tree structure -
> so right now you have to add "devel" as well as "devel::lang::perl"
> if you want to have the system work properly.

I have not been doing that (nor removing the not-yet-tagged tags) with the
presumption that this can be automated en masse at a later time.

--
 - mdz