Re: pilot-link in Sid and Sarge: Much bigger question

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, [iso-8859-1] Björn Stenberg wrote:

> > > Perhaps one reason is that fixing enough bugs to get stuff into testing is
> > > currently a whack-a-mole job?
> >
> > I don't think your proposals will really fix that, since in my experience
> > that new version of A probably requires all sorts of new crap from B
> > anyway...
>
> Does it, really? Or does it simply have binary dependencies to an unstable
> version of B, imposed by B? If one version of A and B has been accepted in

No, A does actually use API features added in the newly added (or yet to be
added) version of B.  I'm trying to think of some concrete examples, but I
think I've repressed all the horiffic memories of such events.

> testing, chances are pretty good that the next version of A will compile
> and work fine against that old version of B. Most new versions are fixes,
> either of bugs or features. Changes that break source level compatibility
> are rather rare.

You're forgetting the rapid pace of distributed development...

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16