Re: /run and read-only /etc

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 18:30, kcr@debian.org wrote:
> I don't like the idea of having multiple files to turn off logins.  (I
> can't log into my system, and /etc/nologin doesn't exist!  What? didn't you
> know about this *other* file?) I also don't want to solve this with a
> symlink.

Yes, let's try to depend as little as possible on symlink solutions.

It seems reasonable to me that if logins can be locked out either
variably (by a program) or non-variably (by the administrator) --
each way independently of the other -- then each should have its
own "key" to the lock.  Of course there are many ways to
implement a shared lock.

> I would favor (even though it's weird from the pan-unix admin point of
> view) just deprecating /etc/nologin in favor of something more "sensible".

So you would prefer it if /etc/nologin were simply replaced by,
e.g., /run/nologin?

> It would also be nice to have some blessing of /run in the policy first,
> but that doesn't seem terribly likely.

What is more important for now is whether there is broad enough
agreement with the reasoning behind /run/.

> These are not strongly held positions.  Please do try to convince me to be
> less of an obstruction

I don't have strong views about the fate of nologin either...
except that it should not be in /etc.  Perhaps Jamie Wilkinson will
have more to say on this subject.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk>