Re: Time to package simpleinit?

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Joachim Breitner wrote:
>  * The /etc/init.d/ scripts would need to add "need otherscript" (and
> sometimes "provide something"). As I think it is a very bad idea to edit
> these scripts in our post-install (and try to reedit them in
> pre-remove)) one would have to file bugs agains packages with
> /etc/init.d scripts. Will that be sucessfull? How cooperative will the
> maintainers of these script be?

Very, as long as it is done in a serious, generic way. I am willing to help
you on this.  But first, please read
http://people.debian.org/~hmh/debconf2/debconf2-initscripts-bkg.pdf

We have a lot of work ahead of us.  I took a halt on it because I lacked the
time, but now that Miquel surfaced again and did the sysv split, we could
continue designing the system.  I figure sysvinit and friends will have
stabilized again in a more change-init-system-friendly way by the time we
finish...

Once it is designed (a way to properly support the dynamic dependencies such
as need and provide of simpleinit), we can start deploying it.

  Henrique Holschuh