Re: bad postinst in kernel-images

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 08:37:24AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> Marcel Kolaja <mkolaja@mistral.cz> wrote:
> >
> > Well, it looks like a dependency problem in Debian. What do you exactly
> > mean with "recent binutils"? This problem appears on Woody, that means
> > with binutils 2.12.90.0.1-4 and modutils 2.4.15-1.
>
> Then this is not the problem.  Only the binutils from sarge/sid
> generates map files that are not understood.  Besides, these errors

So the problem is not in Debian but in me. If I understand it correctly
now, the problem is, that I build the kernel on Sarge and install it on
Woody. So if I build the kernel on Woody, everything should be OK,
I guess. Sorry to make noise in debian-devel and bothering Keith. Thank
you for explaining the problem.

> are only warnings, the generated modules.dep still works.

Are you sure? How can depmod generate correct modules.dep if it does not
understand the System.map file? If the modules.dep file is really correct,
I will continue building the kernels on Sarge and simply ignore the
warnings while installing it on Woody. :-)

> Email:  Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>

Regards,

Marcel Kolaja
Debian GNU/Linux Power User                         http://www.debian.org/
"Software is like sex - it's better when it's free."
       -- Linus Torvalds