Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 01:10:47AM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> This aside, it's very clear to me that responding to Hans is a complete
> waste of time.  He's trolling.  If he's just going to keep ranting aimlessly,
> I'd say Debian can only assume we're in violation of whatever the license
> is, that whatever the license is is undistributable, nuke the package
> and point people to a clearly free alternative (possibly written by far
> more reasonable folks), XFS.

Let me just start with saying that I started out with agreeing
with Hans until it became possible that he doesn't really know
what it is he wants to be saying.

That is: he obviously perceived Debian as having deliberately
removed some credits, and - somewhat agitated - posted an e-mail
about this to several mailboxes and lists, which is understandable
to a certain extent.

Now it would seem the reply from Debian has only agitated Hans
further to the point where he isn't listening to what we are
trying to convey to him about:
	manners;
	apologies;
	and request of clarification.

I believe all Debian developers wishes to adhere to and honour the
academian tradition of giving due credits.

The way this discussion has turned out it seems that the way we
practice the upholding of this tradition doesn't satisfy one of
the upstream authors, namely Hans.

I have been assumeing all along that this discussion was only relevant
to the reiserfsprogs-packages, not the kernel-code itself. This may or
may not be the case, but as fas as the filesystem utilities go there
is of course a free alternative in debian in the progsreiserfs-package.

So I propose that Ed drops the reiserfsprogs-package for now, initiates
a dialog directly with Hans Reiser to see if this matter can be settled
soberly, while the rest of us use progsreiserfs.
--
Lars Bahner: http://lars.bahner.com/; Voice: +4792884492; Fax: +4792974492

Key fingerprint = A913 7B54 E5FC 804D C12B  18DE 493D 83DE 5DE6 C5D6