Re: why do we care about configuration files?

Is it just me, or would this fix the problem simply:

   1) If a postinst generates a configuration file with debconf, it
      must place the md5sum of the generated configuration file in
      /var

   2) A package should try and parse the current configuration file
      back into debconf before prompting.

   3) After prompting, the package must confirm that the current
      md5sum matches the one stored in /var. If it does and the
      package succeeded at (2) it may replace the configuration
      file. Otherwise, use ucf.