Re: why do we care about configuration files?

>> On 18 Apr 2003 11:15:50 -0400,
>> Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> said:

 > There's other use cases too, but if we're not supporting the two
 > big ones above, we have completely failed.  I hope this makes
 > things clearer.  There *is* a problem, and we need to fix it.

	I think more than just these use cases, we need to support the
 invariant that user changes in /etc/ are scrosanct, and we should not
 have screipts determining that they know better and blow awqay the
 changes.

	Indeed, if the users choices break the installation of the
 package, so be it.

	After all, no one has written code into rm to prevent rm -rf /
 either. though that is inherently a dangerous operation.

	manoj
--
While Europe's eye is fix'd on mighty things, The fate of empires and
the fall of kings; While quacks of State must each produce his plan,