Re: ocaml compiled binaries and rpath

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 07:02:16PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> > > Any reason not to Build-Depend: chrpath, and do 'chrpath --delete' on
> > > the result?
> >
> > Personnaly i don't know, i am no expert in rpath and don't fully
> > understand the issues involved.
>

> If you are adding an rpath to a non-default directory, there is a
> reason for it; like /usr/lib/ocaml-whatever/ .
>
> However, adding rpath to /usr/lib is meaningless, because /usr/lib
> is in the standard search path.
>
> So, for cases where rpath to /usr/lib is specified you should probably
> look at removing the rpath.
> For cases where there are specific reasons to do so (for example,
> hiding ocaml related libraries in a subdirectory of /usr/lib/),
> then rpath should be kept.

Yes, i agree with that, the problem is that i am not really all that
sure if this is the only thing involved. Anyway, i will be trying to
look at this and understand it better before taking any action. These
rpath may not be needed, but in any case, they don't hurt also, there is
no urgency of removing them. Also, i think something else is going on in
this specific case, and that the rpath is pulled in by the labltk stub
library, i think.

Anyway, i will not change anything about this before the ocaml
mini-freeze is finished and the current ocaml packages have entered
testing, which in turn depend on postgresql and the libvorbis mess.

Also, i believe that if we are going to remove the rpath, the correct
way is not to strip it, but to not add it to start with, and this means
patching the ocaml build suite.

And for this, i need to take the time to look at this specific issue,
understand it well and so on.

Friendly,

Sven Luther