Re: Debian for x86-64 (AMD Opteron)

At 19:10 12/04/2003 +0200, you wrote:
On Saturday 12 April 2003 16:58, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >> Arnd Bergmann <arnd@bergmann-dalldorf.de> writes:
> >>
>  > Every architecture knows where its libraries are installed. One way
>  > would be to make 'dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_LIBTYPE' return either
>  > 'lib' or 'lib64' depending on the architecture. You have to do
>  > something like this anyway because the file list and the configure
>  > arguments are also different.
>
>  I feel my leg being pulled :-)
>
>  Again, with -v -v -v, what do you write in the Architecture field
>  corresponding to the lib64foo package in the debian/control file?

Ok, now I see your point. What I wanted to do is put 'Architecture: any'
in the control file and use debian/substvars to define the actual
name of the binary package, e.g. 'Package: ${lib}foo'. I suppose there
is a good reason why using a generated package name does not work, so
we have to come up with something else.
Sorry for the confusion.

[ Disclaimer: just subscribed -- caught the thread already started ]

Sorry, i must me missing something obvious, but why would we need lib64foo ?
Why not just define the new architecture x86-64 and have katie/buildd do the rest?

Users with Opteron/Athlon64 would have the additional bonus of a completely optimized distro to run ( as good as or better than using a source-based distribution such as Gentoo ), and it would be completely transparent for developers...

Anything to do with the ability to mix-and-match 32 and 64-bit code in this processors?

        Arnd <><

Regards,
J.L.