Re: /run and read-only /etc

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 10:13, Marco d'Itri wrote:

>  >Leaving /etc/adjtime as is and telling admins to "move it and use a
>  >symlink" is a FHS violation because /etc/adjtime is.
> What part of "FHS does not apply to local changes" you did not
> understand?

No part. Please read my message again. The problem is the behavior of
the package; i.e., of the distribution, to which the FHS applies.

I don't care if the admin types:

  # find /var -type f -exec '/bin/sh' '-c' 'mv "{}" /etc/`uuidgen`' ';'

(though I reserve the right to laugh my a** off)

>  >/etc has a "static nature". See the note on /etc/mtab under Table
>  >3.7.3.1. It is also for configuration files. /etc/adjtime is neither.
> Then propose to change FHS.

What change would you propose? Something along the lines of:

    The requirements of this section must be followed, even if
    the file happens to be called "adjtime".

PLEASE read <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.7.html>. There is
only _one_ exception in the FHS for non-static/non-configuration data in
/etc, and that is mtab.

If you check your /etc into CVS, _nothing_ but mtab should change
without administrative action (except, perhaps, passwd, shadow, etc.).
That's what the FHS implies.

BTW: Debian is pretty close to FHS compliance on /etc. Once /run is
created and used, the only obvious one I notice is
http://people.debian.org/~stevenk/linda.d.o/unstable/binary-in-etc.html