Re: /run and read-only /etc

* Jeremy Jackson <jerj@coplanar.net> [030410 23:59]:
> Can someone point me the message(s) discussing /run (and why not
> /etc/run) - I would like to think that adding another directory off /
> should be avoided.  /etc/run sounds nice, unless you want to support
> booting before /etc is mounted...

On the one hand we try to catch the spirit of the FHS. Those things
have nothing to do with configuration nowadays considered content of
/etc. The things to be moved out of /etc are there because staying in
historic places due to lack of better place (like /etc/mtab), crude
hacks to get unsupported things more-or-less working (like non-static
nameservers) or are already breaking FHS and thus policy(like
/etc/printcap.cups). Some of those things have no other place, as they
are state-information needed before /var/run is accessable, thus the
new directory.

On the other hand, keeping different things sperate will also help
our users. (Imaging a rule "/etc if for configuration except /etc/run,
thus only tar the rest of /etc, if you want to restore your
configuration later easily). There is a reason, why we have "/home"
instead of "/usr/home[s]".

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.