Re: /run and read-only /etc

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 20:22, Jeremy Jackson wrote:
> Clearly what is needed here is an API for resolver updates
> [...]

What you describe is roughly what I wrote up in my last TODO
message.

> In Debian, there should possibly be a policy decided upon.
> (what the dir is, what API is, etc)

I don't immediately see why the resolver management scheme
has to be written up in policy.  It concerns only a small
set of packages.  The APM subsystem uses a similar scheme
(/etc/apm/apmd_proxy, /etc/apm/event.d, etc.) but is nowhere
mentioned in policy.

Eventually, however, there will have to be policy that
forbids routinely writing to files in /etc/.

And there will have to be a FHS change to allow for /run/.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk>