Re: debian-lisp list

On Apr  8, Matthew Danish (mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu) wrote:
 > On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 02:03:06PM +0200, Sam Hocevar wrote:
 > > I have the feeling that debian-lisp would be exclusively devoted to
 > > Common Lisp, Is that on purpose?
 >
 > Yes; it is the Common Lisp packages which have a coordinated controller
 > system.  However, Lam and I agreed to change the proposal to
 > ``debian-common-lisp'' instead, because ``debian-lisp'' could be
 > construed for other Lisp dialects.

You're right.  I was one of the original folks who responded positively to the
proposal as posted on debian-devel for a lisp mailing list, and I construed it
to be for all dialects.  As a Schemer, I strongly prefer a more general lisp
list, so I take back my support if it is to be for Common Lisp only.

 > > There are other widely used dialects in Debian, such as Scheme.
 >
 > But, AFAIK, no serious coordination efforts for any of them.  And every
 > Scheme compiler is its own separate language, for most practical
 > purposes.  (This can be dealt with, but it is somewhat more difficult).

What better place to discuss such coordination than a Debian lisp list?

As Kevin Rosenberg said, if the majority use CL and not Scheme, then the
traffic from Schemers would be small anyway.  Keep it general.

--
Neil L. Roeth