Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

* Mark Ferlatte <ferlatte@cryptio.net> [030408 08:08]:
> >  >Does the libnss-lwres package help here?
> > Yes, this would work for many programs, but not all. There are some
> > programs which directly use the resolver.
>
> What sorts of programs?  Shouldn't everything use the NSS?

When I recall correctly, the NSS has quite limited scope in this area.
It has only a "hosts" database, and AFAIK no support for MX-lookups
or reverse lookups.

(ipv6 is also quite strangely implemented, I'm still hunting programs
 sending out ipv6-queries for "localhost" or the hostname of the
 machine in a pure ipv4 environment.)

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.