Re: /run and read-only /etc

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 17:43, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> And looks like I was right, because as I showed nearly all programs do
> not need a standardized /run directory provided by the OS.

Yes, but your solution was the admin spending a lot of time finding
programs that do weird things and creating symlinks.

The FHS is not mostly for the convenience of the programs that run on
the system; instead, it is for the convenience of the admin. Surely,
it'd be more convenient for program maintainers if they could put files
wherever they pleased, and then respond to all requests to move them to
another location with "use a symlink", but that would hardly be a good
idea.