Re: Porting packages to use po-debconf for debconf template translation management

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 02:08:28PM -0300, Andre Luis Lopes wrote:

> [ I didn't told you the last time, but please don't CC: me on replies as
> I'm already subscribed to -devl ]

You may want to fix your mail headers, then:

> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 10:31:15AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > Use of po-debconf does not require a dependency, only a build-dependency;
> > the binary packages contain merged templates files as before, and these
> > files require only a current version of debconf to be used correctly.

> Sorry. I should have said build-dependency instead of dependency. Anyway,
> po-debconf must be installed at the build machine under which the
> backporter is doing the package build. Is it okay for a backported package
> to be built in unstable when it will actually be used under stable ?

By definition, a backport needs to be built against the libraries of the
target platform -- that means building on stable.

Personally, if we're just talking about backports (i.e., no new
development), I don't see any reason why someone couldn't merge the
templates once and for all while preparing the backport.  This part
could be done using tools on unstable, even though the build itself has
to be done on stable.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer