Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Thomas Hood writes:
> I have filed a wishlist item against pppconfig asking that the dynamic
> resolv.conf alteration by the 0dns scripts be made optional.

It _is_ optional.  The scripts won't mess with resolv.conf if the user
selects "DNS will be handled by other means" in the "Configure Nameservers"
screen.

> Even if nothing is done about this, it doesn't matter too much because
> pppconfig is Priority: optional.  If your /etc is ro and you can't
> disable resolv.conf futzing then don't install pppconfig.

Remove it, you mean: it's in base.  In any case I intend to fix it.

> Can ppp ever run before /var is mounted?

No.

> Eventually, the symlink should be eliminated.

That should be done by getting upstream to fix pppd (a one-line change).

I'll send the patch.
--
John Hasler john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler) Dancing Horse Hill Elmwood, WI