Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 22:23, John Hasler wrote:
> Pppconfig's odns scripts are what futzes with /etc/resolv.conf (as does
> pppoeconf and possibly some pcmcia stuff).  The only way I can see to fix
> this is to either make /etc/resolv.conf a symlink into /var/lib or require
> a local nameserver that I can push some forwarders into.

I have filed a wishlist item against pppconfig asking
that the dynamic resolv.conf alteration by the 0dns scripts
be made optional.

Even if nothing is done about this, it doesn't matter too much
because pppconfig is Priority: optional.  If your /etc is ro
and you can't disable resolv.conf futzing then don't install
pppconfig.

> Ppp does write to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf.  This could be fixed by creating
> /var/lib/ppp/resolv.conf and making /etc/ppp/resolv.conf a symlink to it.

Can ppp ever run before /var is mounted?  If not then your
solution is OK.

Eventually, the symlink should be eliminated.

> I will send in a patch for ppp if you wish.

Please do.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk>