Re: Using debconf in downloaders/installers

Joey Hess wrote:
> I think you're mistaken about the potinst, see my comments in bug #187213.

Sorry. I don't see any comments from you in bug #187213.

> It would be a good idea to make the config script ask any initial
> questions, and only have the postinst be interactive if the download
> fails or something. It's ok to use debconf in postinsts to report and
> deal with failures -- that's what the note question type is for,
> even[1].

Okay, I'll move my error recovery loops to postinst. It's interesting,
linda and lintian both warn about dh_input in postinst but don't warn
about dh_input in preinst. Do you think they should warn about
dh_input in preinst? in postinst?

Thanks for your help!

--
       Kevin Rosenberg        |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
  http://b9.com/debian.html   | : :' :      The  universal