Re: [desktop] Installation of mail server by default

On 28-Mar-03, 02:37 (CST), Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:

> I don't get it. Why is "apt-get install postfix" "brute action"?
>
> Actually I don't even get the problem. Could you elaborate what the
> "SMTP conflicts problem" is?

This question still hasn't been answered.

About once a year it comes up that we should support having multiple
simultaneous MTA installations. No one ever able to supply a reason for
this beyond "it would be cool.", nor agree on how it should work: this
makes sense, because the very few people who actually do need two MTAs
have such diverse reasons for doing this that there is little common
ground. And aren't we talking about desktop systems?

Now, if you want better transistion between MTAs, so that if I have
a basic exim setup, and I want to move to the equivalent postfix
setup, 'apt-get install postfix" (or similar) keeps the appropriate
configuration values (smart-host, accept delivery for systems x, y and
z, etc.) then that's probably a worthwhile task.

Yes, there's probably a better choice for default MTA for machines
that will be "single-user" desktop systems. But how this leads to a
requirement for multiple MTAs I don't understand.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net