Re: RFC: New required package: libblkid1

Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> writes:

> On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 01:27, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>
> > /etc/blkid.tab may be necessary to find the /var partition.  (i.e., if
> > /etc/fstab has LABEL=var, and you don't want to search all of the 2000
> > block devices in the system, then you want to use /etc/blkid.tab to be
> > able to quickly find the var partition.)
>
> Then there is no reason to have more than the partitions needed, at most
> two, in /etc. (/var and /var/cache).
>
> BTW: I hope you've got some nice cache update code...

Why not search all 2000 block devices for var? doesn't realy hurt. And
then, when var is there, the other 1999 filesystems can use the cache.

If the file is in /etc and / is RO and you change two drives the
system will mount the wrong filesystem. fsck will check the wrong
filesystem.

Also don't forget that the order in which modules are loaded can
change drive names. Loading and removing modules possibly invalidates
the cache. It might be enough to remove the cache upon boot and rescan
all devices when a UUID is not found in the cache (and update if new
uuids are found).

> > Similarly, /etc/ld.so.cache is necessary to run the mount command (and
> > any other dynamically linked executable).
>
> Really?
>
> bohr:/home/anthony# sash
> Stand-alone shell (version 3.4)
> > mv /etc/ld.so.cache /etc/ld.so.cache.ddd
> > mount

Isn't mount a buildin shell command in sash?

mrvn@dual:~% ldd =mount
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4001b000)

MfG
        Goswin