Re: RFC: New required package: libblkid1

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 01:27, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> /etc/blkid.tab may be necessary to find the /var partition.  (i.e., if
> /etc/fstab has LABEL=var, and you don't want to search all of the 2000
> block devices in the system, then you want to use /etc/blkid.tab to be
> able to quickly find the var partition.)

Then there is no reason to have more than the partitions needed, at most
two, in /etc. (/var and /var/cache).

BTW: I hope you've got some nice cache update code...

> Similarly, /etc/ld.so.cache is necessary to run the mount command (and
> any other dynamically linked executable).

Really?

bohr:/home/anthony# sash
Stand-alone shell (version 3.4)
> mv /etc/ld.so.cache /etc/ld.so.cache.ddd
> mount
/dev/sda6 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /var/www/music type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
maxwell.local:/home/GROUPS/music on /var/www/music/Maxwell type nfs
(rw,addr=192.168.65.1)
> mv /etc/ld.so.cache.ddd /etc/ld.so.cache

Doesn't seem to be needed. Am I missing something?