Re: should I orphan linux-wlan-ng?

Attila SZALAY <sasa@debian.org> writes:

> On 2003 Mar 24, Eric Dorland wrote:
>> Joey, you're not crazy. apt-src is an excellent tool and in my opinion
>> a much better way of doing things than source packages. So keep doing
>> what you're doing, I'd be sorry to see it go away.
>
> I'm like to compile my own kernel. I do this because I have some
> special patch (tproxy for example) what I must aply. And I like to
> try experimental kernels too (ie. 2.5.X).
> I compile the kernel with make-kpkg.
>
> And then I compile the extra modules with make-kpkg too. It's set
> the include path correctly, and so on.  No other tools do this.
>
> But if I want to use it, the modules must be in /usr/src/modules directory.
>
> And what the sources packages do? Uncompress the files into this directory.
>
> So, when we talk about _kernel_ _modules_ I deeply need source packages.
> But not in other situations.

There's actually no technical reason that you need source binary
packages to do this.  Or, for that matter, any reason /usr/src/modules
is magic; kernel-package supports the MODULE_LOC environment variable,
and if the user wants to set this to $HOME/src/modules they're welcome
to.

I'm actually somewhat curious to hear how apt-src changes the world in
this case.  My impression when it first came up was that it was
intended to people who run "stable with one unstable package" to track
the source for that package without having sid in their APT sources.
Would you use apt-src to get source for all of the kernel modules you
care about under $MODULE_LOC, and then use kernel-package as normal?
Also, does approach make it easier or harder to come up with binary
modules for all of the Debian stock kernels?

(The one technical advantage I can think of off the top of my head for
-source packages is that they can be trimmed down: the
lm-sensors-source package [maybe only the version still waiting in
incoming] only includes the kernel drivers, not any of the user-space
programs, so it would be faster to download over a slow connection.
The flip side of this is that it increases the archive space
requirements for redundant bits.)

	-- Abra Mitchell