Re: [Moshe Zadka <m@moshez.org>] Independent Count

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 15:03, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:58, Ben Collins wrote:
> > So the secretary is not allowed to have an opinion? The secretary is not
> > allowed to publicly display their opinions?
>
> During the voting period you might not expect the secretary to express their
> opinions so clearly in public.

Why not?  What weight does the secretary's opinion have over anyone
else's?  Why should I care what the secretary thinks?  Or any other
"influential" member of Debian for that matter?  I don't know about
yours, but my ballot is cast based on my own belief as to who would best
serve Debian as DPL, which has far more to do with who I am and what I
think is important than anything else.

> The people who count votes at government elections are not supposed to be
> affiliated with any party or do anything to affect the outcome of the
> election.
>
> Maybe we should have a similar policy for our elections?

What compensation are we prepared to give the secretary for exercising
such self-denial?  It appears the job is thankless enough as it is.
Let's not burden the secretary with having to practice self-censorship
too.

Ben
--
Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>