Re: RFC: New required package: libblkid1

> The big question is whether or not read-only root is sufficiently
> common case that it's worth torquing things just to support it.

This I see as the crux of the matter. We are in danger of going to far in
wanting to satisfy any desire people have. While the argument has been made
that some people view a r/o root filesystem as a requirement there are many
others (the majority?) who don't and why should we all learn a new location
for files when we don't need (or want) to? Historically all sorts of crap
was in /etc - some moved out as it got big (mostly to /var) but that doesn't
mean we need to remove as much as we can, in fact we could now with large
disks go back to putting it all in /etc. That's not to say that we can't
move forward, but lets aim for problems that effect the majority and not the
few who want a r/o fs or run diskless clients.

Matt.