Re: standard for executable files under /usr/share

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 04:12:39PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 09:54:38PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > What about arch independant binaries ? Do they also need to go into
> > /usr/bin evne if they are arch independent ?
>
> $ find /usr/bin/ -exec file {} \; | grep -c 'shell script text executable'
> 105
>
> The condition for putting a file in /usr/bin is not whether it's
> arch-independent, but whether it's something a user would run.

I suppose nobody ever shares a disk between different architectures
nowaday anyway, but if it was done, you could put a lot of executables
that are not shell script (thing java-like bytecode executables, like
the ocaml apps i package) in it, and not have a copy of it for every
arch.

But then, like said, i don't think people share a disk between different
arches, and diskspace is cheap anyway.

Friendly,

Sven Luther