Re: standard for executable files under /usr/share

* Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> [2003-03-18 12:20]:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 12:23:44PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
>> It seems that many packages have binaries under /usr/share, here are a few
>> examples of regex's that match Debian-specific binaries under /usr/share:
>> /usr/share/debiandoc-sgml/saspconvert
>> /usr/share/lintian/.+
>> /usr/share/kernel-package/.+
>> /usr/share/bug/[^/]+
>> /usr/share/console/getkmapchoice\.pl
>> /usr/share/openoffice\.org-debian-files/install-hook
>> /usr/share/dlint/digparse
>> /usr/share/gimp/1.2/user_install

 Russell, those are _NOT_ binaries but scripts.  Please don't call them
binaries, that just confuses the people and make them scream.  Call them
executeables, if you like.

>> I suggest that we have a standard for names of such files.  Something like
>> /usr/share/package/bin/.+ would do well.  That will make things a lot easier
>> for SE Linux users (and users of other security systems).
>
> Why not simply /usr/share/bin ?

 Because those scripts aren't meant to be called directly by users and
are on intention hidden.  If you drop them all in a single directory you
will end up with people adding that to their $PATH, IMHO, which is not
prefered.

 So long!
Alfie
--